December 05, 2008

Selfish...anyone?

Does anyone find this to be true? When you run into fellow triathlete's at the Y, all we can seem to talk about is training and racing? If it's a non-racer, it doesn't seem to be that way.

I am as guilty as the the other person in these conversations. I seem to initiate half of them in that direction. But yet I am turned off sometimes by the selfishness that sometimes comes from being a triathlete. I am talking about the many "me first" middle of the packers that exist out there. Hey, I know sometimes we need to be selfish because of the amount of workouts required for long distance training. Personally, I try to get it all done in the early morning hours before the family wakes and before I need to go to work. I'm really talking about the people who seem to spend endless hours away from the family at training camps, races and whatever else they can get involved in. They need to buy the latest and greatest equipment. (On that one, I'm jealous!!) Not to mention the costs.

I don't know. Maybe I'm way off base. Or maybe I'm just bored and have nothing else to write about.

2 comments:

Sonia said...

I've only been part of the triatlong world for a short time (my first tri was in July!) but I definitely notice a lot of 'me-me-me talks' waiting for the wave to start.

I find it a really different world than raod race (plain simple running). So much more technical maybe that's why there is more self involvness (I know it's not a word but it does seem appropriate!)

Kim said...

I don't know... I'm sure there are people out there that are being selfish about the training thing, but honestly? Humans are selfish creatures. I feel bad for the people that do nothing for themselves. Thats not to say that someone should be 100% self-absorbed, but a healthy balance between me-them time is a good thing, I think.