November 29, 2008

IM Training Begins.....Again!

And so it began 5 days ago on November 24. The quest for a 3rd IM finish.

The starting line seems so far away during these early days. The knees are sore. The right foot-ankle is hurting again. So much, that I've had to cut short 1 run and cancel another. It's been cold and it's dark in the mornings. Already, those voices are creeping in asking why I signed up again. The voices urge me on to look up the cancellation dates for the race and the hotel.

But, so far, I have stared them down. I hit 2 of 3 Strength workouts, 1 of 2 runs, 2 of 2 swims, and 2 of 2 bikes this week. Since this is the first time I have started this early so I feel like I am already ahead of the game.

It is important to get these workouts in so you don't feel inclined to blow them off later. Quit now and what will stop you from quiting later? When it's April and you have a 4 to 5 hour ride followed by a 30 minute run ahead of you, you will think about these early days and how you rose from your bed in 30 degree weather to hit the road for a run or the chilly pool for a swim.

And you will be much better off. I guarantee it.

No comments: