November 17, 2008

Here Comes That Training Again


Ironman Lake Placid 2009. Training starts 1 week from today.


UGH!


It was less than 4 months ago when I made the trip to Lake Placid 2008 in order to sign up for the 2009 race. The day was "wet" from biblical rains but my friends and I were once again filled with those crazy endorphins and that overwhelming desire to do it again. And here I am on the eve of training. Everything is falling into place leading up to Day 1. For example, I put in a "ton" of base work. NOT! (I kept saying I would. Tomorrow, for sure!) And I am cruising into Day 1 with no injuries. NOT! (Once again the knees are sore and My Right Foot feels like it's broken). At least the weather looks great for outdoor rides instead of the trainer. Double NOT! (Sure, 70 degrees last Saturday but the lows for the next 10 days are in the 20's and 30's).


This is the hardest part of the race. Even before the gun goes off and 2000 people start swimming, kicking, punching and clawing their way through the swim course. Even before the stomach starts to knot up from warm, orange Gatorade Endurance while out on the bike. And well before, the dry heaves kick in at Mile 10 of the run. It's that persistent, sinking feeling of do I really need to go to bed early? Get up early? Jump in the cold pool, early?


Yes. Yes I do. And so do all the other 2000+ entries


The good news is I won't be alone. The demons inside my head will be barking for me to quit. To go back to sleep. To cut the workout short. To worry over the ache in my knees as if I'll never walk again if I don't.


This is Ironman. And it's why we do it. I think.

No comments: