September 13, 2008

Ride Like a Champion


The alarm went off at 6:20 this morning. The tentative plan was to ride trails up in Ringwood, NJ. There is some great, technical stuff up there for mountain bikers. But it rained all night and with that, you knew it was going to be slippery with the rocks making it a challenge. Plus my heart wasn't in it. After waking up and texting back and forth to my fellow riders, we decided to stay in bed.


But the garbage had to be put out, then the dog needed to go out and once I am up I just can't seem to fall asleep again. So I laid there with that work out anxiety that I often get when I haven't worked out in awhile. It's that overwhelming, nervous feeling triathletes often get. I did run yeterday but I needed to ride. The road was calling.


Outside, the sun was struggling to come out but it was going to get there. You could tell. It was shaping up to be a great day. Bending over to pump air into my tires, I noticed my IM sticker on the bumber of my car. And it gave me a boost. I tapped it like the Notre Dame football players tap the Play Like a Champion sign on their way out to the field. I was ready to go.


I ended up riding 33 miles. Much more than I anticipated thanks to getting lost because of a detour. But sometimes getting lost can be fun. Like in the woods when you discover new trails, discovering new roads is just as nice.


No comments: