July 04, 2010

1 Year Ago: 100 Miles

One year ago yesterday was my final long ride for Ironman Lake Placid before the great season of tapering began. I looked back yesterday and honored the day with a shorter, albeit grueling, mountain bike ride. Not 100+ miles in the saddle.

It is true that I am enjoying this "no racing season" but I am starting to get itchy. There will be no Ironman in 2011 or 2012 for that matter. But next year I get back in the game with a half-IM and some shorter races. Heck, I might even pick up a sprint race this September if I can drag myself back into the pool anytime soon. For now though, it's a few morning runs, lots of Mountain Biking, and Miller Lite's.

I think back to that ride last year and remember it as being pretty hot and it involved a lot of hills. I get butterfly's when I think of it and the entire training plan overall. When you look back on what you need to do for 35 weeks, it's mentally challenging. How does one do it? The answer: you just do. Like anything in life, if you want it that badly, you go for it. Failure is not an option. There will be bumps in the road to Ironman but if you want to cross that finish line, and I did, then you just do it.

No comments: