September 11, 2007

September 11: Looking Back



Today is a tough day for all Americans. It is especially tough for us here in the NY area that were directly effected by the events on 9/11. It is a day I will never forget. And I will never forget those who sadly lost their lives.

On Tuesday, September 11, 2001, I made my way through the WTC after commuting in from my home in New Jersey. I stepped outside into the beautiful sunshine and walked the distance of less than 100 yards from the South Tower to my office at 90 West Street. It was 8:05 AM as I made it into the building. I was about to begin a staff meeting when, at 8:46 AM, the world changed forever.

I will never forget the images of that day. The death and destruction I witnessed. When the second plane struck the South Tower, after flying over our building, we began our evacuation. Those moments were so surreal because we still did not know the enormity of the situation. Out on the street, looking up at the gaping, burning holes in both towers, I was in shock. But fortunately, I made it home when others didn't.

The pictures above are of my return to the building in November of 2001. The office I'm in was right next door to us, on the same floor, but facing the WTC. When the towers fell, debris littered our building and it caught fire. They say it burned for three days.

Please remember all those who perished today, six years ago in NY, DC and in the fields of Pennsylvania. They are all heroes. God Bless.

No comments: